Wednesday 24 October 2007

Three Observations

1: There was a man with a bicycle that had wreaths of garlic, onions and shallots hanging from the handlebars. He had a sign that said "Stop me and buy some."

And people did. There were at least three people running up to him like he was the ice cream man. He had a French accent. His onions looked a bit worse for the wear, but who am I to judge?

2: Yesterday, a man was playing beautiful accordian music beneath my building. The music floated all the way up to the fifth floor and filled the room with peace and joy. When I walked outside he was playing "La Vie En Rose."

3: When you go into a store, the salespeople ask, "Are you alright?" At first I thought it was because I look perpetually lost and confused, and sometimes appear as if I'm on the verge of barfing, but no, they ask everyone that.

2 comments:

Bob said...

They used to come from Spain and were called 'Onion Jonnies'. They used to cycle all the way from Spain and sell their onions all over England.

London Girl said...

wow. who knew? how long ago did they do this?