Monday 1 October 2007

The London Soundtrack

Since everyone and their dog has an ipod, I wear mine around town and fit in perfectly. I only listen to songs that vibe with London, so they're all sort of poppy. Here are some of my chosen beats: "Pump It," the Black Eyed Peas; "Summer Skin," Death Cab for Cutie; "Such Great Heights," the Postal Service and "Supermassive Black Hole," Muse. I feel really alive as the music pulses through my veins. And I swear it must have an impact in the way I walk or how I look because ever since I've walked with a soundtrack, I get smiles from everyone. Thank god no more "wiggle, wiggle" comments, but everyone feels the vibe, I guess.

Today, a darling old woman in a puffy down coat asked me to help her button her top button. It was difficult, so I can see why she struggled. Several old women who looked crotchety from afar, smiled at me, their crinkled faces softening sweet and slow, like honey on warm bread. Even some young African women smiled. Maybe it's me. I feel happy, so perhaps it's contagious.

No comments: