Tuesday 9 October 2007

The Pastry Chef Plumber

“Don’t come in for a minute, I’ve got to take me trousers off.”

Today a very tall (as in 6’7”) plumber with an incredibly thick English accent and long grey hair came to fix my roommate’s shower and, apparently, remove his pants.

“Trust me, you don’t want to see this. It’s a horrendous sight,” he warned.

I didn't need much convincing, so out I went to do some shopping.

Apparently, in order to fix the shower it had to be on and I suppose he didn’t want his clothes wet.

I understand. This was just an interesting way of being introduced for the first time. Already, somewhat of an impression of this gentleman was formed in my mind and that’s where I went wrong. Note to self: never judge a man just because he runs around people’s apartments in his underwear.

Seriously, though, he totally made sure I was gone before he did it. There was nothing lascivious about the situation. He was hired to put in a tiny shower and he was a giant man. Needless to say, he wasn’t a happy camper.

“Whoever installed that shower in the first place, must’ve been a monkey,” he whined.

I was busy painting the letter “E” in white out on my knives so they wouldn’t get mixed up in someone else’s pack once class started.

Paul Bunyon saw me working with the knives and immediately came over, all wide eyed and giddy. “What exactly is your area of expertise,” he wondered, while holding a paring knife in his hands.

“I’m not sure I’m an expert on anything,” I replied, “but I’m here to become a pastry chef.”

His whole body softened and suddenly, he was like a tiny child, holding a kitten for the first time.

“Some people are into gambling, some are into heroin, some are into sex. I’m into cream cakes,” he said, looking me square in the eye.

“You wouldn’t know it by looking at me, but I can do amazing things with shortcrust.”

For the next half hour he told me about his love for pastry and how he travels the world and when he tries something he likes, barges in the kitchen and demands that the chef give him the recipe.

“Who’s gonna to argue with a 6’7,” 290 pound man?” he said with a smile.

So there you have it. Stefanie’s first lesson: don’t make assumptions. People can really surprise you.

Turns out, the shower is still broken, though.

4 comments:

Manfred Jager said...

Dear London Girl --
My name is Manfred Jager. I am a retired Canadian journalist and a friend of your aunt, Uschi Limpert, in Nuremberg (Cadolzburg). Uschi very kindly shared your blog with me -- I assume with your prior permission. As a fellow journalist, I now have questions and need an e-mail address to send them to. Please oblige.
-mj.

Manfred Jager said...

P.S.: Your aunt in Nuremberg has my e-mail addresses.
-mj.

Uschi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Uschi said...

Dear Stef!
I really do love this guy, but if he calls me "your aunt" for one more time, I will surly kill him!
Uschi