Wednesday 3 October 2007

A Roof Over My Bed

If I said it once, I'll say it fifteen times: it's bloody difficult trying to find a place to stay in London! Mind you, it's not at all difficult to find an ungodly EXPENSIVE place, but one that's affordable and doesn't take your whole life savings in two weeks, well, that seems a bit of an impossibility. I just talked with my potential future landlord, Claire, and now she was hassling me with details. How long am I going to stay (even though she already knew that months ago), how much am I going to pay in utilities, will I split the council tax....all these details that never came up before. I told her, "Look, Claire, do you want me as a tenant or not? I don't want to come see the place and get my hopes up and you change your mind." I was firm with her and stood my ground. I may be desperate but I'm not going to get pushed around because she thinks she has leverage. I understand her predicament. After all, NO ONE wanted me as a short let tenant. She even said no at first. People are unreliable, they skip out on rent, etc. etc...I can understand her worries. But we'd been corresponding via email for months and she got to know me. She even told me she understands why I'm here and she respects and admires that. So now why all the fuss? I just want this to be over with. I want my own bed, my own place, at a price I can afford. That's that.

I'm getting antsy in this guesthouse. I can hear the guests next door and they're night owls and early risers. I'm barely getting any sleep, but I imagine it's my anxiety over everything more than the actual living situation. I can't wait to be settled!!! I could never live as a drifter. Thank God I wasn't old enough to be a hippie in the 70s!

2 comments:

Jules said...

Hey doll hang in there. I am thinking that once you start school and meet some students you will have more leads on places to stay. I will send some positive energy your way. hugs

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.