Thursday 18 October 2007

Scrambled Eggs

I made scrambled eggs today. That might not have been a bad thing, had I not been trying to make creme anglaise.

The thing is, creme anglaise, much like scrambled eggs, is incredibly easy to make. It takes only milk, sugar, eggs and a careful eye to watch the pot. You must constantly stir until the foam on top subsides. Truth be told, I was doing that. Then, my partner asked to take over. So I let him. I went outside to blow my nose (have a cold) and when I came back, voila, eggs a la scramble. Now, I could blame him, but I won't. It could've just as easily been my fault. Perhaps we were so close to being done that had I noticed, I could've said it was time to remove it from the stove instead. But I am not yet trained well enough to make that call. Besides, I'm constantly messing things up, and he never blames me. We're a team. You celebrate the successes and take responsibility for the mistakes - together. Who would've thought I'd learn to play so nicely in pastry class?

Finally, when our second batch was done, we made batter for tuile cookies, raspberry coulis, creme caramel and creme brulee. All of the cremes are so similar and take very little time to prepare. All of this will sit overnight and tomorrow we will learn to decorate our plates and show it to the chef. Tonight we'll be learning how to make marzipan animal sculptures. This, I can't wait for!

No comments: