Wednesday 31 October 2007

Adventures in Eating

"I feel like I've eaten quite a lot of pig's head," T said after pushing away a plate that I could barely look at all evening. It was jellied pig's head, to be exact. And, in case you were wondering, it was a jelly created by nature, without the use of any additional gelling agents.

We were at St. John's Bread and Wine (http://www.stjohnbreadandwine.com/home/), an offshoot of St. John's, whose founder, Fergus Henderson, is best known for his head to tail eating philosophy. Apparently, a large part of London is on board with him, as both restaurants are hugely popular.

I can see why. I'd have to take the word of T and his jellied head when it comes to the eclectic menu specialties, but my salad with little gem lettuce, spring onions, mint and lemon oil was divine, as was a plate of gorgeous roasted shallots whose insides were like cream. Served with a side of mint dressed with mustard and goat's curd that was as light and creamy as fresh ricotta, you combined everything on a dense piece of brown bread. Heaven. My favorite, though, was a beautiful dish of zucchini and broad beans that had been slow cooked in a luscious butter, parsley and mustard vinaigrette.

T almost ordered the crispy pig's cheek but they sold out. While vacillating between the quail with aioli and the ox heart, the look on my face guided his decision. A girl can only take so much...

No comments: