Thursday 13 December 2007

A Moment in Zurich

The flight from London to Zurich was uncomfortable for me. I sat next to an Indian couple and even though the woman smiled warmly when I sat down, I had the strangest awareness that she was talking about me nearly the entire flight. I’m not a paranoid person, but I think you can tell when someone is talking about you. Language, I now realize, isn’t a requirement. I could feel her staring at me quite a bit. She was watching everything I did. She watched me stir my tea, read my book, write in my journal and take out a bag of brownies. At times, she started laughing. Not a cute, shy sort of laugh, but a clear mark of someone poking fun at another person. I have no clue what she was saying or why she would even concern herself, but she did. And to make matters worse, she kissed and cuddled her husband nonstop and it made me want to barf. I did have a good cup of tea, though. It was already made. I’m telling you, Europeans know tea!

When I got off the plane and walked toward my connecting flight, I caught a glimpse of rolling hills, green, green trees and the most darling gingerbread cottages tucked into the hillside. I had what can only be described as a visual orgasm. It was like accidentally stumbling upon God’s garden. At first I was walking rather hastily in the direction of my plane, but I found that I could no longer control my feet from stopping dead in their tracks. I just stood and stared out at the vast and beautiful Swiss landscape. I feel a bit sad for all those years I lost doing silly things like eating chocolate bars and looking for toy stores. I have traveled for 30 years and for the first 25 or so, was never truly able to internalize my experiences. As a child I had opportunities most people could only dream of, but I was too young to understand. Now things are so different. I find that it’s nearly impossible for me not to absorb absolutely everything around me. Sometimes, it’s to the point of being overwhelming. There is so much beauty in this world. I never knew beauty could hurt, but if you take it all in, really feel it, it aches with a tenderness too delicate for words.

Addendum: Switzerland from the air is 11 million times more breathtaking. Note to self: buy wings.

No comments: